The Nappy Knitter

This blog is about my life as The Knitting Queen.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Im Into Scarves

I’m Into Scarves

I am the first to admit when I am wrong.  For years, I have been telling every new knitter that I meet.  Start with a sweater!  Scarves are too easy and they are boring.  Well, I take it all back.  

I have knit four scarf patterns this year and let me tell you, they were not easy.  I made an off-white cashmere scarf from a pattern with very intricate details that I still don’t understand.  Then I made Ruffles from the book Scarf Styles, which involved short rows and turning, whew!  Next was a triangle scarf made of mohair. Oh my God, the yarn tangled, constantly slipped off the needles and then the hair was flying.  Up my nose and into my eyes, thank goodness there was a little silk in the yarn or I would not have been able to stand it.  By the way, I donated that one to an auction for the American Heart Association only to find out that after spending $60 on the yarn and enduring one month of knitters stress and allergy like symptoms, my hard work would sell for the cost of a $1 Chinese Raffle ticket.

After cleaning out my yarn closet I discovered that I had far too many left over skeins and balls of yarn from previous projects.  I vowed, that very day, to not purchase any more yarn until I used up most or all of these yarns. That brings us to the scarf I am making now. It’s just a basket weave scarf knit in 5 by 5 squares made of some left over linen/wool/mohair yarn that my husband purchased as a Christmas present for me two years ago.  I made myself a beautiful sweater and now he will get an equally beautiful scarf out of the same yarn.  I am still trying to decide if I should sew a matching silk fabric onto the back so that it doesn’t feel scratchy on his neck.  What do you guys think?  Please offer your feedback here.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home